Alumni Notebook: Lierly scores twice in win
December 15, 2013
Nicole Lierly, a 2013 Nevada Union graduate and freshman guard at Cal State University San Marcos, played an active role Saturday in the Lady Cougars’ 68-57 victory over Simpson University.
Lierly contributed just five minutes off the bench but made them count as she went 2-of-2 shooting from the floor, finishing with four points and also grabbed an offensive board and dished out an assist. The Lady Cougars led 30-28 at the break thanks to a put back by Lierly late in the second quarter. Her second bucket also came in the paint to push her team’s lead to nine points early on in the fourth quarter. Defensively the Lady Cougars held Simpson to just 29.9 percent shooting from the floor.
Cal State University San Marcos (6-9) hosts No. 1 Vanguard on Tuesday.
Marc Hopkinson (Nevada Union, ’10); Tabor College (Hillsboro, Kan.) —
Hopkinson and the Bluejays split a pair of games last week, knocking off Bethel College convincingly and then lost a heart-breaker in overtime to Sterling College.
Hopkinson contributed over 13 minutes off the bench in his team’s 90-78 home win over Bethel College on Thursday. The Senior guard finished with four points and was 4-of-4 from the free-throw line. He also added two rebounds, two assists and a steal as Tabor College shot 50.8 percent from the floor in the 12-point victory. There were no stats available for Saturday’s 94-93 overtime loss to Sterling College.
The Bluejays (6-7) host Benedictine College to tip off the Tabor College Holiday Classic Jan. 3.
Have we missed anyone? If you know of a college or professional athlete with local ties, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4232.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- CYCLING: Nevada City Dirt Classic, YBONC team up with USA Cycling
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- PREP WRESTLING: 2 Bruins claim DIV championships
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers