Alumni game kicks off Stampede season
January 17, 2013
The Gold Country Stampede lacrosse club kicked off the start of the season with its annual alumni vs. varsity game Jan. 4.
The alumni, led by former coach Terry Baxter, came from far and wide for this much-anticipated game. Returning alumni players represented many college lacrosse teams, including St. Mary's (Eric Sperlazza), Sonoma State (Matt Montovan), Chico State (Ryan Seidel and Thomas Hertan), Humboldt State (Dillon Huffman and Peter Mitchell), Gonzaga (Ceilidh Baxter), Adams State (scholarship recipient Alec Hamlin) and Stevens Tech in New Jersey (Nick Harris). Former player Harris put the game together and found eager participants in Stampede alumni from both Nevada Union and Bear River, who eagerly plan their winter breaks around this event.
Current varsity coach Chuck Hemmert enjoyed going head to head with some of his past team members.
"As a coach, it's really cool to be in contact with former players and see them excelling in college both athletically and in life," Hemmert said. "That is always a victory."
Gold Country Stampede teams begin practicing next week for the spring season. Coach Hemmert welcomes interested new players to come watch a varsity practice at Nevada Union Mondays through Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. The season gets underway for Stampede teams Feb. 23 with the annual Redding Lacrosse Jamboree. Registration is still open, and the club is actively recruiting boys and girls, grades two through 12, to come play the fastest game on two feet. Interested players can register online at http://www.gcstampede.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: NU grad Maxwell helps Gold Sox to victory
- MARTIAL ARTS: Gold Mountain Invitational Youth tourney raises funds for Child Advocates
- PREP SPORTS: Nevada Union’s Hooper Stadium set to get new turf
- GIVING BACK: Annual Lake Wildwood golf fundraiser aids injured vets
- PREP FOOTBALL: A look at several must see games in the upcoming season
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County