Alpine 2 Squaw 10K set for late August
August 6, 2013
The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation is hosting their first fundraiser on August 24 to raise scholarship funds to support athletes on the Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows snow sports teams.
The Alpine 2 Squaw 10K Challenge consists of a 10K run from Alpine Meadows to Squaw Valley. The challenge is open to runners and walkers, as well as to dogs for those who register in the "Pets and People" category. All proceeds from the race will benefit SAF, as well as the Humane Society of Truckee Tahoe.
"The 10K challenge offers a unique opportunity to run the trails with or without your dog, from Alpine Meadows to Squaw Valley," said Reem Saffouri, President of SAF. "Our goal with this initial fundraiser is to raise enough money to provide financial aid for two to four athletes for the upcoming season."
The Alpine 2 Squaw 10K Challenge will start in the Alpine Meadows parking lot and will follow the U.S. Forest Service fire road until it joins up with the Western States trail. Following the final descent down Squaw's Red Dog Face, the race will finish at the base of KT-22. A full map of the course can be viewed at http://svamf.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/A2S10KC.png.
Registration for the 10K Challenge is $30 at the early bird rate (valid though Friday), or $40 starting Saturday. Day of race registration is $50. Pet registration is $5, with all proceeds benefiting the Truckee Tahoe Humane Society. Registration is currently open at http://beta.active.com/olympic-valley-ca/running/alpine2squaw-10k-challenge-2013.
Race check-in will take place on the morning of the event from 6-7:30 a.m. at The Village at Squaw Valley. Shuttles will run racers over to the start at Alpine Meadows, with the last shuttle leaving at 7:30 a.m.
Awards per category will be presented at 11:00 a.m. at the KT Base Bar.
Trending In: Sports
- ALUMNI NOTEBOOK: Nevada Union alums Maxwell, Houlihan shine on diamond
- FORD: Sacramento Kings need culture change in front office
- PREP BASKETBALL: Forest Lake Christian crushes Lutheran in 1st round of playoffs
- ALUMNI: Nevada Union alumna Woodward pins down All-American status
- PREP BASKETBALL: Bear River, Forest Lake Christian girls advance; Nevada Union bounced
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers
- 25th Mardi Gras parade, celebration parties on in Nevada City despite rain
- Storm expected to pick up steam, drop 5-6 inches of rain through Tuesday