Editor’s note: This is the first of a four-part story that chronicles Frank Piner’s attempt to complete a 100-mile run in Alabama known as the Pinhoti Endurance Run. Piner enlisted in the Navy in 2012 with the intent of becoming a Navy SEAL. He decided a 100-mile run would give him a taste of what training and mental toughness would be needed to be successful as a SEAL. He searched for the most difficult 100-mile run he could sign up for, and the 2013 Pinhoti 100 in Alabama’s Talladega Forest was it. This is his story.
Tales from the trail
Trending in: Sports
- Grass Valley champs chase sprint car gold at Marysville Raceway Park
- Stampede halted against stiff competition
- Lady Miners take second straight CNISSF women’s title
- Amaral named youth Coach of Year
- FLC tennis opens season with victory