April 3, 2014
William "Bruce" Heard of Oakland, Ore., died on March 28, 2014, after a short battle with cancer. He was 70.
A memorial will be held at 3 p.m. on Saturday, April 5, at the Yoncalla Church of Christ.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Grove Christian Camp in Cottage Grove, or to the Yoncalla Church of Christ in Yoncalla.
Bruce was born in Corona, Calif. on July 6, 1943, to Jack and Elnora (Smith) Heard. He was proud of his Cherokee ancestry.
He graduated from Lynwood High School in Lynwood, Calif., with the class of 1960. He served with the U.S. Air Force during the Vietnam War.
He married Linda Lane, and they were together for 48 years.
Bruce was a truck driver and a commercial vehicle inspector for the California Highway Patrol. He owned a True Value Hardware store and was also a cabinet maker.
He enjoyed woodworking, riding and showing horses, fishing, crabbing, camping and spending time outdoors. He was a deacon at the Yoncalla Church of Christ.
Bruce received the Melvin Jones Fellowship Award for the Outstanding Lion of the Year for the Higgins Diggins Lions Club.
He is survived by his wife, Linda Heard; stepmother Rose Nell Heard; sons James (Michelle) Flanagan, Mike (Anna) Heard, Mark Heard and Bill (girlfriend, Lori Gantz)Heard Jr.; daughter Michelle (Joe) Halleib; sister Jackaline Sheridan; and nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by sons Joseph Flanagan and Robert Kiley Heard.
Arrangements are in the care of Smith-Lund-Mills Funeral Chapel in Cottage Grove.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later