August 21, 2013
Vera Ellen (Gibson) Mullis, formerly of Nevada City, Calif., passed away at 10:05 p.m. on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at Countryside Health Care in Bardwell, Ky. She was 97.
Vera was born on Nov. 21, 1915, in Hackett, Ark. She was the fourth of seven children born to Jesse and May Gibson.
She married Walter C. Mullis, DDS, in 1950. Dr. and Mrs. Mullis had a wonderful Christian marriage that led them to the mission field and medical needs in Central America and Honduras.
Dr. Mullis was limited to extractions in these remote, non-electric villages. Vera held a flashlight, illuminating the patient's mouth, sterilizing instruments and preparing secondary medical needs. Vera was a volunteer Pink Lady at Sierra Nevada Memorial, loved to play golf and fish.
Vera is survived by her daughter Jewell Jones of Bardwell, Ky.; sisters Jessie C. Pittman and Lillie A. Robbins; sister-in-law Pauline Mullis; grandchildren Linda Hamilton of Bardwell, Ky., Karen Ronningen of Sacramento, Stephen Ronningen of Grass Valley and Edwin Ronningen of Coeur d' Alene, Idaho; nine great-grandchildren and 15 great-great-grandchildren.
She is preceded in death by her husband Walter C. Mullis, D.D.S; two sisters, two brothers and her parents.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 18 out of 20 counts in child sex case
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)