December 8, 2012
Thomas Retzer Smith died on Nov.23, 2012, in Grass Valley, Calif. He was 87.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, at Unity in the Gold Country, 180 Cambridge Court, Grass Valley.
Tom was born on Feb. 3, 1925, in Downieville, Calif. After graduating from Downieville High School in 1942, Tom joined the Navy. In 1945, Tom married his high school sweetheart, Auralee Strand, of Goodyears Bar, Calif.
Tom graduated from San Jose State with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering in 1952 and worked as a construction engineer for over 30 years.
Tom and Auralee were married for 65 years when she passed away in 2011.
He is survived by his children, Christine Reynolds, Beverly Jordan and Paul Smith; grandchildren, Jess and Matt Reynolds, Timothy, Tessa and Paul Jordan, Jeremy and Lucas Smith; and great-grandchild, Milo Reynolds.
Tom will also be remembered fondly by his large extended family and his many friends near and far.
Arrangements in care of Chapel of the Angels Mortuary
Trending In: Obituaries
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers