Shirley Salter Varian
February 23, 2013
Shirley Salter Varian of Grass Valley passed away peacefully on Feb. 14, 2013. She was 77.
To celebrate her life, we ask that on her birthday, Feb. 28, 2013, all those who knew and loved her write a memory of her and attach it to a purple balloon and release it.
Shirley was born in New York, New York, on Feb. 28, 1935. A loving mother, a Girl Scout leader, a seamstress, and favorite Mom to all the neighborhood kids, Shirley liked fishing, house boating, needlepoint, crafts, frogs, The Days Of Our Lives and the color purple.
Shirley is survived by her collection of frogs; husband, James T. Wilson; daughters, Sandra Minor, of St. Louis, Mo., Victoria Varian (Jodi Shedletsky), of Denver,NC., and Alexandria Barnard (Robert), of Cary, N.C.; sister, Norma Couillard (Robert), of Denver,NC.; granddaughter, Danielle Cousin of Adelaide, Australia; stepdaughters, Shawna Johnson, Sommer Bannan and Tiffany Wilson; and four grandsons. She is also survived by her beloved kitty, B.C.
Shirley was preceded in death by her father, Thomas B. Salter; her mother, Ina Walker Salter; her husband, Richard A. Varian; and her brother Thomas N. Salter.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- 16 people evacuated from Cascade Shores area
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers