November 7, 2013
Ruth C. Smith passed away on Oct. 2, 2013, in Grass Valley. She was 96.
Memorial services will be in Bartlesville, Okla., on Nov. 3, 2013, at the Green Country Chapel.
Ruth was born in Tonkawa, Okla., on July 6, 1917. She earned a BS and MS in zoology from the University of Oklahoma. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Associate Sigma Xi, she was the first woman to be hired by the FBI in the chemical laboratory.
She married Donald C. Smith on June 15, 1944. They moved to Bartlesville, Okla., in 1951, where they raised four children — Owen, Carol, Marcia and Ardyn.
Ruth loved restoring antiques, Indian art, gardening and collecting paperweights and micromosaics. She moved to Grass Valley in 2011. Ruth died peacefully at home of natural causes.
She will be sorely missed by those who knew her best.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location