November 7, 2013
Ruth C. Smith passed away on Oct. 2, 2013, in Grass Valley. She was 96.
Memorial services will be in Bartlesville, Okla., on Nov. 3, 2013, at the Green Country Chapel.
Ruth was born in Tonkawa, Okla., on July 6, 1917. She earned a BS and MS in zoology from the University of Oklahoma. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Associate Sigma Xi, she was the first woman to be hired by the FBI in the chemical laboratory.
She married Donald C. Smith on June 15, 1944. They moved to Bartlesville, Okla., in 1951, where they raised four children — Owen, Carol, Marcia and Ardyn.
Ruth loved restoring antiques, Indian art, gardening and collecting paperweights and micromosaics. She moved to Grass Valley in 2011. Ruth died peacefully at home of natural causes.
She will be sorely missed by those who knew her best.
Trending In: Obituaries
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans