February 11, 2013
Roy Charles Lawrence passed away in Grass Valley, Calif., on Jan. 31, 2013. at the age of 96.
In accordance to his wishes, there will be no services.
Born Jan. 12, 1917, in Petoskey, Mich.. he was the son of Anna Roberts Lawrence and George W. Lawrence. He went to school in Petoskey. While attending high school, he was the assistant basketball coach with Arnie Wolgast.
He went to college in Michigan and got his master's degree in education at the University of Michigan.
He was one of nine siblings: Clair Lawrence, Dorothy Cosgrove, Dana Ostlund, Helen Graseck, Vera Tryban, Elmer Lawrence, Nina Stitt and Earl Lawrence. He taught and coached in Michigan and California.
He retired from Fremont Union High School District as principal of Nnight school.
During World War II, he was stationed on Guam.
It is with a sad heart that God took him from us, but he is free of pain.
He is survived by the love of his life, Virginia Starr Lawrence, whom he met during his short stay at Moffett Field in California while serving in the Navy. Roy leaves behind twosons, Arnold of Goodyear, Ariz., and Gary Lawrence of Grass Valley. He also has a sweet daughter-in-law, Diane of Goodyear, and one grandson, Christopher Lawrence of San Jose, Calif.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Heart Association.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana