December 2, 2013
Richard Sawyer died Nov. 6, 2013, in Modesto, Calif. He was 43.
Interment was conducted at the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery Nov. 29.
Rich was born Nov. 7, 1969, in Turlock, Calif., to David and Diane Sawyer. Rich attended schools in Delhi, Calif., and graduated Denair High School in 1987. Throughout school, he excelled in sports, including baseball and football. Rich was a proud veteran of the United States Air Force. He served as fireman at Sembach, Germany; March AFB, Riverside, Calif.; and at Khobar, Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. He was involved in fundraising for Welcome Home Vets in Grass Valley, where he had lived for the last 4 years.
He was a proud father and leaves behind his children: Desirae Sawyer, Marissa Sawyer and Seth Sawyer; parents Diane and David Sawyer; brothers Robert and Ryan Sawyer; and his dog, Maggie.
Family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in Rich's name to Welcome Home Vets, PO Box 189, Grass Valley, CA 95945.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Water and compliance issues bring cannabis advocates, county officials to the table