Obituary of John Gayle
June 13, 2014
John Roscoe Gayle passed away May 19, 2014, at home. He was 91.
John was born in New Mexico in 1922 and moved with his family to Duncan, Okla., at an early age. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in chemistry from the University of Oklahoma in 1943.
On October 26, 1943, he reported to midshipman's school at Columbia University in New York and was sent to the Pacific. On VJ day he was in Manila Bay on a LST.
John left the service as a lieutenant in 1946 and went back to the University of Oklahoma where he earned his master's degree in chemistry. Shortly after, he went to work for Phillips Petroleum.
In 1953 he was hired as a chemical economist at the Stanford Research Institute and remained there 20 years until he retired to Nevada City.
John enjoyed scuba diving and had a private pilot's license. After retirement, he and Doris traveled extensively in the States and in Mexico but to John there was no place like his home among the pines in Nevada City, where he enjoyed entertaining friends and family.
He is survived by his wife, Doris Gayle; sons Michael and Steven Gayle; stepdaughter Kim Vivian and stepgrandsons, Kristopher Vivian and Andrew (Raine) Vivian.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier