Obituary of Harold Petersons
August 25, 2014
Harold “Pete” Eugene Peterson died on Aug 14, 2014 at Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital.
There will be no service.
Pete was born in 1921 in Hutchinson, Kan., in the late 1930s, he moved with his family to Grass Valley. He and his best friend from Kansas began their working careers for IBM in Los Angeles. With the beginning of WWII, they joined the U.S. Coast Guard. Serving initially at the Point Arena lighthouse, they eventually served on the U.S.S. Hutchinson in the South Pacific, South China Sea, and Indian Ocean. Harold married Marple Elane Neal (Live Oak, CA) in 1943.
Following the end of the war, Harold returned to Grass Valley and worked at the Alpha Company, then the Idaho-Maryland Mine as an accountant. In the early 1950s, he began working for Purity Stores and became manager of the Hills Flat store. Following the closure of that store, he purchased and operated it as the Busy Bee Market with his brother, Bob Peterson, until his retirement.
Harold was an active member of the Grass Valley Rifle, Rod, and Gun Club and liked nothing better than fishing, target practicing, hiking, and traveling into the western deserts.
He resided at the Golden Empire Convalescent Hospital in his last years and the family thanks the staff for the loving kindness shown to Harold and Marple.
He is survived by his sons, Scott Peterson (Robin Voigt) and their son, River Peterson and Jack Peterson and his daughters, Shauna Peterson and Cori Koel and sister, Betty (Gene) Peyret, brother, Bob (Roz) Peterson and godson, Marc Hicks.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Defense attorneys continue to question credibility of Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Probe shut down: Former ADA allegedly forced to resign after investigation into narcotics detective
- John Foster, former Grass Valley police chief, announces run for sheriff
- Documents disclosed in case involving Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Sheriff Keith Royal: I intend to retire at end of this term