Obituary for Earl Franzen
April 2, 2014
Earl Phillip Franzen died March 14, 2014, surrounded by his loved ones: daughter, Cindy; son, Russ (Geri); grandchildren Jesse Emma and Shiloh; and his faithful caregiver, Sion. he was 93.
A memorial will be at 2 p.m. on April 2, 2014, at Lake Wildwood Manor, his home for the last six years. Contact Russ and Geri for information at (530) 432-2269. Sion has requested an 8:30 mass in honor of Earl at St. Patrick's Church on April 2.
Earl was born in Burlington, Iowa, to Walter and Etna Franzen. He served in the Navy in WWII and was one of the few students during the war who got an advanced degree, a Master of Science in chemical engineering at Iowa State University. He made a career as chief engineer with Shell.
He retired in 1974. Earl and his beloved wife, Bernice, lived out their retirement in a home their son, Russ, built for them in Lake Wildwood. There they enjoyed good times with their close friends and family. Earl loved golf and played three times a week up into his 80s. In the earlier years, they loved travelling to many countries. They were long-time members of Peace Lutheran Church in Grass Valley.
Earl is survived by his daughter, Cindy (Glyn); son, Russ (Geri); and grandchildren Jesse, Emma and Shiloh (Preston).
A private service was held for the family and arrangements were made by Hooper & Weaver Mortuary.
If you wish to send flowers to the family, please send them to LWW manor at 17802 Silver Pine Drive, Penn Valley, CA 95946.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Dodge Dakota breaks through wall, sends child sprawling to the floor, mother says
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man returns home to find burners on, house ransacked, mysterious pants