November 15, 2012
Norman J. Ronningen passed quietly in his sleep Nov. 3, 2012, at Golden Empire Nursing Home in Grass Valley, Calif. He was 90.
Private services to take place later.
He was born May 7, 1922, in Astoria, S.D., where he lived until 1936 when his family moved to Nevada City, Calif. Norman graduated from Nevada City High School. He entered the Navy during WWII and spent his time in the Asiatic Pacific. He was discharged from the Navy in 1946. He was a meat cutter who traveled throughout California and Reno, Nev. In 1980, he and his wife retired to Nevada City. He loved the outdoors and spent his time skiing, golfing and working in his garden. He was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather, and we will miss him dearly.
He is survived by his loving wife, Vera; daughter Yvonne Navarro; and stepdaughter Roxanne (Kenneth) Eslick; brothers Ole, Kenneth and Hans; sister Sonja (Nettles); grandchildren Christy (Dave) Creighton, Vincent (Rochelle) Navarro and Jennifer Navarro; and great-grandchildren Isabelle and Zander Creighton and Alexander Navarro.
He is preceded in death by his parents, Ole and Signe Ronningen; brothers Sverre, Melvin, Howard and Roy; and sisters Arleen (Fox) and June.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom
- Protest planned outside Auburn water agency event Friday
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- 3 brothers appear in Nevada County Superior Court on unrelated charges