January 19, 2013
Merilyn F. Baker (Marshall) of Penn Valley passed away on Dec. 25, 2012, after a short battle with cancer.
Merilyn, with those sparkling blue eyes, was born in Oakland, Calif., in 1938 and attended Castlemont High where she was a cheerleader and a diver. She married soon after graduating and moved to Livermore, Calif. where she had her three boys.
Merilyn divorced in 1969 and spent the next 20 years raising her boys by herself through extraordinary perseverance. During that time, she worked as a secretary and bookkeeper for a number of companies and eventually retired from the Lawrence Livermore Lab. In 1989, the Loma Prieta earthquake spurned a check-in call from her old flame, Rich, which lead to them reuniting and eventually marrying in 1991. They moved to Placerville, and then to Penn Valley. For the past 21 years, they have spent their days laughing, gardening and falling more and more in love. Their relationship proves there's no limit to how deeply two people can love each other. Please keep Merilyn in your thoughts and prayers.
Merilyn is survived by her husband and the love of her life, Rich Baker; brother Jim Wells, (Judy); half-brother Robert; half-sister Carolyn; sons Kirk and Dean (Cessa); and grandchildren, Roddy, Finn and Maura. Merilyn is also survived by her many friends and acquaintances. She was preceded in death by her son, Todd.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local