July 24, 2013
Marian Appel of Grass Valley passed away peacefully at home on July 1, 2013. She was 93.
Marian was born in Milwaukee, Wisc., to William and Florence Girdwood.
After marrying her husband, William Appel, they moved to California and had two children, Carol McDonald (Frank) and William Appel. After her husband died, she moved to Grass Valley to be near her children.
Marian worked as an executive secretary. She was an avid reader and gardener and enjoyed raising her dogs, feeding the wild birds and donating to charities to save animals. She was a wonderful caregiver to her parents and husband, a great cook and a creative artist.
She is survived by her daughter, Carol of Grass Valley; son, Bill of Nevada City; grandchildren Kristy Miller of Lakewood, Colo., Karen McDonald of Spokane, Wash., and Tedd McDonald of Boise, Idaho; six great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
We would like to thank Dr. Gaulter, Hospice of the Foothills, Chapel of the Angels and Pastor Linda Line for their compassion.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Defense attorneys continue to question credibility of Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Probe shut down: Former ADA allegedly forced to resign after investigation into narcotics detective
- John Foster, former Grass Valley police chief, announces run for sheriff
- Documents disclosed in case involving Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Sheriff Keith Royal: I intend to retire at end of this term