March 3, 2014
Margorie Wogan, a third-generation Grass Valley, Calif., native, died peacefully at home in Sacramento, Calif., on Jan. 28, 2014. She was 101.
Private services were held at St Patrick's Cemetery on Feb. 21, 2014.
Marge was born on July 19, 1912, to Thomas and Rose Mulcahy. Tom was well known for 20 years of service on the boards of NID and the Nevada County Fairgrounds. The family owned an orchard in Newtown until they bought 100 acres on Alta Hill where they had a pear orchard. Part of the old homestead is now DeVere Mautino Park.
Marge graduated from Chico State College and became a teacher. Marge married John Wogan in 1942 and then became a homemaker while raising their two children, Tom and Janet. They lived in Grass Valley until 1955, when they moved to Sacramento for John's career with the state government. She loved needlework, gardening and helping at the school her grandson, Peter, attended
She is survived by children Tom (Melanie) Wogan of Honolulu and Janet Sandlin of Sacramento; grandchildren John Wogan and Peter (Mary) Sandlin; four great-grandchildren; niece, Kathy Johnson of Walnut Creek, Calif.; nephew, David George of Grass Valley; and brother-in-law, Harold Gein of Auburn, Calif.
She was preceded in death by John in 2004; brother, Elwin Mulcahy; sister, Hazel George and Grace Conway of Grass Valley; and sister, Helen Gein of Auburn.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)