Louis Van Moppes
February 18, 2013
Louis M. Van Moppes, husband of 70 years to Helen Van Moppes, passed away on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013.
Louis was born in 1916. Louis (Van) and Helen lived in Lake Wildwood for 23 years after relocating from Carlsbad, Calif., when Van retired from an Air Force career that carried them to many interesting places and an interesting life.
Van's family first, and then the Air Force, were his life. His led a life well-lived. He served the country in three wars with distinction and excellence.
It is impossible to describe a cherished person with only a few words but his large family, including his daughters, his grandchildren, and his great-grandchildren often share their knowledge of him. To them Van was intelligent, funny and interesting.
They loved the way he enjoyed having conversations with them. They admired his skill at crossword puzzles, and knew just how much he enjoyed dessert. To Helen, he was above all else dependable, trustworthy, understanding and filled with a quiet and everlasting love. Strong — that was Van.
There was a private gathering at Helen's home. A memorial mass will be held 5:30 p.m. February 23, 2013, at St. Canice Catholic Church, 317 Washington St. in Nevada City.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville