January 4, 2013
Louis S. Kovach of Penn Valley died Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2012, at home. He was 84.
Mr. Kovach was born March 29, 1928, in Portage, Pa., to Joseph and Julia (Nyiri) Kovach. He served in the U.S. Air Force from April 1946 to October 1951. He married Nancy Campbell Nov. 27, 1953, in Reno, Nev. He worked for the civil service at Edwards Air Force Base in California for 30 years and for Lockheed at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California for three years on the Space Shuttle Program. He was a member of the GPAA, LDMA, SCBS and RMEF. He enjoyed anything outdoors, hunting, fishing, backpacking, mining and skiing. He started the backpacking program for the local scout troop 186 in Lancaster. Lou enjoyed teaching and seeing others experience the outdoors in every way. He was at home and happiest in the high mountains.
He is survived by his wife, Nancy of Penn Valley; sons Steve of Boise, Idaho, and Daniel of Sparks, Nev.; and two grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, Joseph and Julia, and his sister and brother, Margaret and Joseph.
Arrangements are under the direction of Hooper & Weaver Mortuary.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man returns home to find burners on, house ransacked, mysterious pants
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash