November 6, 2012
Leland Elroy Chamberlin passed away peacefully in his home at Eskaton, Grass Valley, Calif., Oct. 30, 2012. He was 97.
Leland E. Chamberlin was born in Whittier, Calif., May 3, 1915, the oldest of three boys. He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, Business School in 1937. Lee married Martha in 1937 in the congregational church in Whittier, Calif.
Lee was employed by Standard Oil Co. of California/Chevron Corporation for 37 years, from 1937 to 1974. He retired as the corporate assistant comptroller. Bored with the retired life, he then took a position as president and director of a Bermuda Oil Trading Company, headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda, from 1980 to 1985. As a very proud and grateful UC Berkeley graduate, Lee served as president of the UC Business School Alumni Association in 1965 and 1966, and he continued to support the school in a variety of ways throughout the years. Lee was an active sailor with memberships in Mission Bay Yacht Club, Richmond Yacht Club and the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. He was also a licensed pilot, flying and owning several small personal aircraft.
He is survived by his daughters, Ann and Marlee Chamberlin; three grandchildren; and five great grandchildren.
Memorial contributions may be sent to Hospice of the Foothills, 11270 Rough and Ready Highway, Grass Valley, CA 95945.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business