January 4, 2013
Kathryn Charlotte Pierce (Kay) passed away Dec. 15, 2012, in Grass Valley, Calif. She was 93.
A memorial will be at a later date.
She was born in Rockford, Ill., Jan. 29, 1919, to Joseph and Mable Johnson. Kay's family moved to Los Angeles in 1931 to have a better life during the great depression. She met and fell in love with her future husband in 1936. Kay married her love in Las Vegas July 2, 1938. Her family moved to Santa Clara, Calif., in 1960. She raised four sons. One, James Pierce, passed away in 2011. Kay and Bob moved to the Eskaton Village retirement home in Grass Valley in 2004. She fulfilled her lifelong dreams of being a wife, homemaker, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Her family always came first, taking care of all their needs. She will always be remembered as a very thoughtful, kind and caring person.
She is survived by her husband of 74½ years, Robert Pierce (Bob) of Grass Valley; sons, Robert (Nancy) Pierce of San Jose, Calif., Ronald (Sharon) Pierce of Nevada City, Calif., and David (Annette) Pierce of Truckee, Calif.; six grandchildren; thirteen great-grandchildren; her brother, LaVerne Johnson of Altadena, Calif.; and her sister, Betty (Ted) Woolsey of Banning, Calif.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City