February 15, 2013
Karl Melvin Kopp of Nevada City died at his home on Feb. 5, 2013. He was 92.
The family will hold a private service.
Karl was born on July 14, 1920, in Concord, Calif., to L.W. and Naomi (Hallahan) Kopp.
The family moved to Nevada City in 1922. Karl worked in the family bakery on Broad Street in Nevada City, The KB for Kopp's Bakery is still in red letters in the sidewalk at Broad and York Street. He married Margie Keckler in 1941. Karl served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946.
He retired from the U.S. Forest Service in 1980. He was a 50-plus year member of Nevada Lodge #13 F&AM.
Karl is survived by his wife of 71 years, Margie; three sons, Karl (Buzzy) and partner, Judy of Whitman, Ariz., David (Elaine); and Daniel (Susan) all of Nevada City; nine grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren; nephews, George Steger and William Grigg; nieces, Cheryl Huggins and Barbara (Greg) Wilcox.
His parents and brother, Norman M. Kopp, preceded him in death.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Now hiring: Grass Valley, Nevada City undergoing changes
- Ideas swirl about affordable housing in Nevada City
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth