February 15, 2013
Karl Melvin Kopp of Nevada City died at his home on Feb. 5, 2013. He was 92.
The family will hold a private service.
Karl was born on July 14, 1920, in Concord, Calif., to L.W. and Naomi (Hallahan) Kopp.
The family moved to Nevada City in 1922. Karl worked in the family bakery on Broad Street in Nevada City, The KB for Kopp's Bakery is still in red letters in the sidewalk at Broad and York Street. He married Margie Keckler in 1941. Karl served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946.
He retired from the U.S. Forest Service in 1980. He was a 50-plus year member of Nevada Lodge #13 F&AM.
Karl is survived by his wife of 71 years, Margie; three sons, Karl (Buzzy) and partner, Judy of Whitman, Ariz., David (Elaine); and Daniel (Susan) all of Nevada City; nine grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren; nephews, George Steger and William Grigg; nieces, Cheryl Huggins and Barbara (Greg) Wilcox.
His parents and brother, Norman M. Kopp, preceded him in death.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local