December 28, 2012
Joyce E. Butler passed away at Sierra Memorial Hospital Dec. 6, 2012. She was 80.
There will be a celebration of her life at 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013, at Sierra Presbyterian Church, 175 Ridge Road, Nevada City.
Joyce was born Feb. 6, 1932, in Spokane, Wash., to James and Evangeline (Jones) Fenstad. She graduated from UC Santa Barbara in 1953 with a BS in education and later got her master's in special education from St. Mary's College. She married Leland Butler, her husband of 56 years, Oct. 6, 1956, in San Ana. Joyce worked in various elementary schools from San Diego to Moraga from 1953 until her retirement in 1988. She was very active in the community, involving herself with many organizations, such as Friends of Hospice, Allegro Alliance, Welcome Club and Sierra Presbyterian Church.
Joyce loved to travel and play golf and Mahjong, and she was a wonderful bridge player.
She is survived by her husband, Leland Butler of Lake Wildwood; children Chris Butler of Valencia, Calif., and Karen Bucey of Visalia, Calif.; granddaughter Laine Butler of Newport Beach, Calif.; grandsons Kyle Butler of Valencia, Calif., Ryan Medeiros of Fresno, Calif.
Joyce is preceded in death by her father, James Fenstad; mother Evangeline (Jones) Fenstad; brother Edmund Fenstad.
Memorial contributions can be made to the Deacons Fund, Sierra Presbyterian Church or the charity of your choice.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death