April 12, 2013
John R. "Bob" Blakely, 76, of Grass Valley, Calif., passed away quietly Friday, Feb. 22, 2013.
Bob was born in McNary, Ariz., Jan. 15, 1937, to Raymond Blakely and Berta Lampsa. He graduated from Nevada Union High School in 1954. After high school, he joined the Navy and later joined the Air Force. He retired from the Air Force in 1978. Bob spent time in Alaska, Greenland, Arkansas and Oregon before returning to the Grass Valley area in 2010.
He is survived by his sisters, Jeanne Hammond of Nevada City and Harriett Harris of Grass Valley; his brother, James Blakely of Idaho; three nieces; and three nephews.
He is preceded in death by his sister, Ramona Jenkins, in 2006.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local