December 20, 2012
Gerald "Jerry" Robert Ames died Dec. 3, 2012, at Hospice of the Foothills after a brief illness.
There will be a private reception to celebrate his life.
He was born Feb. 2, 1937, in Hillsborough, Calif., to Elizabeth and Robert Ames. He was a graduate of the Monterey Institute of Foreign Studies and went to teach German, Spanish and educationally handicapped children. He was always a classic car fan and was a member of several classic car clubs on the West Coast. In 1978, he, along with his life partner, Chris Dickman, moved to Nevada City where they owned and operated the Red Castle Inn for several years. He was a founding board member of Music in the Mountains and was a supporter of the arts in Nevada County. In 1995, they moved to the island of Islesboro, Maine, where they owned and operated the Dark Harbor House Inn until just a few years ago, always returning to Nevada City every winter.
He is survived by more friends than people could count.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest