September 17, 2013
Doris M. Smith, a long-time resident of Grass Valley, died Aug. 14, 2013, at Family Ties Adult Foster Care in Albany, Ore. She was 84.
A graveside service will be at 1 p.m. on Aug. 19 at the Grass Valley City Cemetery.
Doris Marcella Mitchell was born on Sept. 3, l928, to Emily Marcella (Kinsman) and William Mitchell in San Francisco. She had deep family roots here in Grass Valley.
She attended Bell Hill School in Grass Valley and graduated from Commerce High School in San Francisco. Doris also attended SF Community College. She married Alfred E Smith on June 10, 1950.
Although she raised her family in San Francisco, she always returned to the family home in Grass Valley. Doris and Al retired to Grass Valley in 1990.
Doris was a homemaker and was known for her knitting and crochet handiwork and many craft projects.
She was loved by her family and will be greatly missed.
Doris is survived by children Marjorie A. Smith, Mary Lou McLocklin of Albany, Ore., Robert D. Smith of Nevada City and Marcella D. Smith of Salem, Ore.; grandchildren Holly, Emily, Brooke, Max, Laura and Brian; and two great-grandchildren, Mackenzie and Alexander.
She is preceded in death by her husband of 50 years, Alfred E. "Al" Smith, in December of 2000.
Arrangements are under the direction of Hooper and Weaver Mortuary.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance