October 11, 2012
Bill Nielsen died Sept. 18, 2012, in Lakes Basin, Calif. He was 68.
A celebration of life will take place at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012.
Bill was born April 24, 1944, to John and Marie Nielsen in San Mateo, Calif. He received his B.S. and M.S. in electrical engineering from UC Berkeley and worked in software engineering for the same company (Logicon, later Northrop Grumman) for 43 years in San Pedro, Calif., before retiring in 2011. He became a specialist in process improvement and earned a black belt in Six Sigma. He lived in Palos Verdes, where he ran four marathons before moving to Grass Valley in May 2010.
Bill enjoyed reading, watching sports, hiking, running, cards, driving his RV to national parks and visiting his daughters and grandchildren. He was married to the love of his life for 46 years.
He belonged to the Tuesday/Friday Hiking Group, Welcome Club Men's Club, Computer Club, Grass Valley Wagon Wheelers and Ham Radio.
He is survived by his wife Margi Nielsen; daughters Wendy, Jill and Mimi; and grandchildren Diego, Mateo, Julia and Zoe.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (video)
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations (VIDEO)