March 22, 2013
Arthur Keith Cook passed away peacefully at home in Vista, Calif., Jan. 12, 2013, following a brief illness. He was 92.
A memorial service is scheduled at 11 a.m. Monday, March 18, 2013, at the Nevada City Elks Lodge, 518 Highway 49, Nevada City, Calif.
Keith was born Jan. 18, 1920, in Jerseyville, Ill., to Rolland and Naomi Cook. His family moved from its farm into the town of Alton, Ill., when he was 4. Keith grew up enjoying basketball and football, which provided him the opportunity to go to college at Missouri School of Mines, Rolla, on a football scholarship. Following graduation as a civil engineer in 1942, he moved to Kansas City, Mo., and started his career in aviation engineering and married his high school sweetheart, Marjorie "Midge" Newcomer, in September 1943. Keith and Midge raised their family in Southern California and, following retirement, moved to Nevada City, where they treasured country life and building new friendships. A resident of Nevada City since 2000, Keith was a member of Nevada City Elks and SIRS of Penn Valley.
Keith is survived by his son, Keith, and his wife, Ellyn Cook, of Yorba Linda, Calif.; daughter, DeeDee and her husband, David Stephens of Vista, Calif.; two grandsons; two granddaughters; and one great-granddaughter.
He was predeceased by his wife of 66 years in November 2009.
Memorial gifts can be made to Elizabeth Hospice, 150 W. Crest St. Escondido, CA 92025.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later