A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
December 4, 2012 | Back to: Obituaries
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
- New report, public tour on tap at Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park in Nevada County
- Cats and dogs: One big happy family — or not?
- Nevada County group pushes for more restrictive outdoor pot grow ordinance
- Nevada City attorney submits proposal for statewide marijuana legalization initiative
- Police blotter: Fight reported as involving club, knife