Manzanita Parlor No. 29, Native Daughters of the Golden West, will soon host the rededication of a bronze plaque which was originally created to commemorate the first Women’s Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.) in California, organized in Grass Valley on March 25, 1874.
The original plaque installation and dedication occurred at the Grass Valley Congregational Church on Sunday April 25, 1926. The plaque was removed prior to the demolition of the church and stored at the United Methodist Church a few blocks from the original site. The marker, discovered behind a furnace at the United Methodist Church, inspired the Native Daughters of the Golden West to rededicate the plaque at its original location near the corner of South Church and Neal Streets.
With the assistance of Lowell Robinson Enterprises, Inc.; John Spencer of Spencer Land Surveys; Dave Long of Lincoln and Long Civil Engineers; Mary Wood, a member of the United Methodist Church; Sierra Pacific Industries; many employees with the City of Grass Valley; contractor Rick Trathen and members of Manzanita Parlor 29, the construction of the monument to hold the W.C.T.U plaque will be built and completed on schedule by the end of February 2014.
Should anyone wish to make a donation to assist with the financial commitment of the project, all donations will be graciously accepted and can be sent to Manzanita Parlor No. 29 c/o Treasurer, Genevieve Ingram, 12147 Echo Drive, Nevada City, CA 95959.
Any further information with regard to the project or to inquire about membership in the Native Daughters of the Golden West, call Parlor President Laura Argento at 530-273-9641 or Parlor Treasurer Genevieve Ingram at 530-273-9282.