Fire crews from Nevada City, Nevada County Consolidated and Grass Valley fire departments were dispatched to a gas leak in the 12000 block of Red Dog Road at about 3:30 p.m. Monday.
Crews arrived to find construction taking place in the backyard of a home in the area, and were told that crews struck and severed the main natural gas line to the home.
Fire crews secured the building and provided stand by for PG&E.
A PG&E work crew was called to locate, dig and secure the gas line away from the break.
Red Dog remained open during the incident, and no injuries were reported.