Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
November 18, 2012 | Back to: NewsBriefs
Socks for Sandy survivors
Trending in: NewsBriefs
- UPDATE: Serious injuries reported in three-car crash on Hwy 20 and Pleasant Valley Rd.
- Patricia Smith: Medical marijuana, to tax or ban?
- Traffic stop ends in arrest on drug charges
- Cornish Christmas: Kicking off the holiday season
- Mobile technology van to bring Wi-Fi, equipment to rural Nevada County