Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
Socks for Sandy survivors
Trending in: NewsBriefs
- On 10-year anniversary of darkest tragedy, Scooter's Pals is shining light on dog rescue in Nevada County
- Man arrested on weapons, drug charges in Grass Valley
- Helping Lisa: 'Love Nest Kits' raise funds for 12-year-old with cancer
- Suspected drug dealer: 'I'm not a trafficker'
- State medical marijuana expert talks to seniors