Chicago Park School Superintendent and Principal Dan Zeisler, left, helps show off the 54 pairs of socks donated by students for victims of Hurricane Sandy, along with students Siena Fowler, Yvette Torres and project coordinator Cora Hughes. According to Hughes, the socks will be sent to the areas hardest hit — the towns of Breezy Point, N.Y., and Belle Harbor, N.Y., which suffered devastation due to high winds, water and fire. Sock collection boxes are now at SPD grocery stores in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Hughes is encouraging community groups and schools to join the donation project. Collections will be accepted until Dec. 1. For information or for a sock pick-up, contact Cora Hughes at (530) 273-3795.
Socks for Sandy survivors
Trending in: NewsBriefs
- CHP arrest man on marijuana sales, transportation charges
- Playing for Anna: Lady Falcons play championship game with heavy hearts
- 'Everyday' Nevada County psychic stars in film trailer for potential reality TV pilot
- CHP to conduct sobriety/driver license checkpoint
- Police blotter: Multiple vehicle break-ins reported in Grass Valley