Youth needed for Scotch Broom Challenge
April 23, 2013
Youth needed for Scotch broom challenge
On Saturday, Blue Five from AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corp and the Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will be taking on a challenge to remove a highly flammable invasive weed — Scotch broom.
The one goal of this event is to pull as much Scotch broom from the area as possible, covering at least two of the four acres. Saturday is Global Youth Service Day, which is a day to get youth involved in helping their communities. The Greater Alta Sierra Firewise Community, Fire Safe Council, AmeriCorps NCCC Blue Five and community volunteers are invited to meet at the Adam Ryan Wildlife Preserve off Dog Bar Road and Alta Sierra Drive for the challenge, which starts at 9 a.m. and runs until noon.
For information, call 916-640-0306.
— The Union staff
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Lake Wildwood Women’s Exchange ‘closet swap’ CoRR fundraiser
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Intero Children’s Charity Fundraiser set for Saturday in Grass Valley
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Hitchhiker ‘looking for trouble’
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball