Youth needed for Scotch Broom Challenge
April 23, 2013
Youth needed for Scotch broom challenge
On Saturday, Blue Five from AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corp and the Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will be taking on a challenge to remove a highly flammable invasive weed — Scotch broom.
The one goal of this event is to pull as much Scotch broom from the area as possible, covering at least two of the four acres. Saturday is Global Youth Service Day, which is a day to get youth involved in helping their communities. The Greater Alta Sierra Firewise Community, Fire Safe Council, AmeriCorps NCCC Blue Five and community volunteers are invited to meet at the Adam Ryan Wildlife Preserve off Dog Bar Road and Alta Sierra Drive for the challenge, which starts at 9 a.m. and runs until noon.
For information, call 916-640-0306.
— The Union staff
Trending In: News Briefs
- Prepping for the Red Light Ball in Grass Valley
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Cioppino and pasta feed fundraiser coming to Nevada County Fairgrounds
- Foothills activists sought to advocate for Medicare, Social Security
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom