Youth needed for Scotch Broom Challenge
April 23, 2013
Youth needed for Scotch broom challenge
On Saturday, Blue Five from AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corp and the Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will be taking on a challenge to remove a highly flammable invasive weed — Scotch broom.
The one goal of this event is to pull as much Scotch broom from the area as possible, covering at least two of the four acres. Saturday is Global Youth Service Day, which is a day to get youth involved in helping their communities. The Greater Alta Sierra Firewise Community, Fire Safe Council, AmeriCorps NCCC Blue Five and community volunteers are invited to meet at the Adam Ryan Wildlife Preserve off Dog Bar Road and Alta Sierra Drive for the challenge, which starts at 9 a.m. and runs until noon.
For information, call 916-640-0306.
— The Union staff
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations