Yard sale to benefit children in the Gaza Strip
April 25, 2013
Nevada Union High School students are having a benefit yard sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at 517 Nevada Street in Nevada City.
The sale is being organized by Nu's IMPACT Club and the Spanish Club, working with the Maia ("maia" is Arabic for "water") Project — Nevada County Chapter. Proceeds will go toward the provision of a water purification and desalination unit at the Naseam Kindergarten in the Nuseirat Refugee Camp in the Gaza Strip.
Ninety to 95 percent of the water in Gaza is unsuitable for human consumption due to contamination by seawater, sewage and agricultural and industrial waste. The Maia Project is a program developed by the Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA, with headquarters in Berkeley) in response to children at Bureij Refugee Camp voting for the thing they wanted most for their school: clean drinking water.
The Maia Project installs water purification and desalination units in kindergartens and elementary and middle schools in refugee camps in the Gaza Strip.
The Nevada County Maia Chapter is raising $4,000 for installation of a water purification/desalination unit at the Naseam Kindergarten. The name "Naseam" means "breezes." One hundred seventy children attend Naseam Kindergarten. It is operated by the Nuseirat Service Center, an affiliate of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). The clean drinking water provided at the kindergarten will serve the children and their families and the school staff.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Daughters of the American Revolution honor high school ‘good citizens’ in Nevada County
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier