Yard sale to benefit children in the Gaza Strip
April 25, 2013
Nevada Union High School students are having a benefit yard sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at 517 Nevada Street in Nevada City.
The sale is being organized by Nu's IMPACT Club and the Spanish Club, working with the Maia ("maia" is Arabic for "water") Project — Nevada County Chapter. Proceeds will go toward the provision of a water purification and desalination unit at the Naseam Kindergarten in the Nuseirat Refugee Camp in the Gaza Strip.
Ninety to 95 percent of the water in Gaza is unsuitable for human consumption due to contamination by seawater, sewage and agricultural and industrial waste. The Maia Project is a program developed by the Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA, with headquarters in Berkeley) in response to children at Bureij Refugee Camp voting for the thing they wanted most for their school: clean drinking water.
The Maia Project installs water purification and desalination units in kindergartens and elementary and middle schools in refugee camps in the Gaza Strip.
The Nevada County Maia Chapter is raising $4,000 for installation of a water purification/desalination unit at the Naseam Kindergarten. The name "Naseam" means "breezes." One hundred seventy children attend Naseam Kindergarten. It is operated by the Nuseirat Service Center, an affiliate of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). The clean drinking water provided at the kindergarten will serve the children and their families and the school staff.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Prepping for the Red Light Ball in Grass Valley
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Cioppino and pasta feed fundraiser coming to Nevada County Fairgrounds
- Foothills activists sought to advocate for Medicare, Social Security
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom