Update: McCourtney Road closed due to gas line break
May 3, 2013
A broken gas line forced the closure of McCourtney Road at Auburn Road Thursday morning with the road closed until at least 5:45 p.m.
A crew reportedly hit the line while working in the area around 10 a.m.
"It's a gas line fairly close to the fairgrounds," said Nevada County Public Works Director Steve Castleberry. "The contractor installing broadband throughout the county hit the line."
According to a Pacific Gas & Electric spokeswoman, the 4-inch plastic gas line was ruptured and needed to be vented safely.
The road was closed between Paddock Lane and Brighton Street, but traffic was being allowed on Polaris Drive.
PG&E crews came on scene at about 11:30 a.m., Castleberry said.
"They had to put in a bypass to the break to keep customers online," he said. "There's no real good detour. We're hoping it's going to be open here shortly."
At about 4:15 p.m., Castleberry said the PG&E crews had just finished placing the bypass.
"Now they can start fixing the break," he said. "They have three crews on site. There are a lot of people working on it, but it's going fairly slowly."
At 5:30 p.m., the utility company spokeswoman said the road should be reopened within 10 minutes.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Daughters of the American Revolution honor high school ‘good citizens’ in Nevada County
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier