United Way’s Day of Action a success
June 16, 2013
United Way of Nevada County's fifth annual Day of Action was a huge success.
On May 10, United Way of Nevada County hosted its fifth annual Day of Action. The many volunteers along with beautiful weather helped make the event a success. Weeds were pulled, gardens were planted, food was bagged, and nonprofits throughout the county benefited, including The Food Bank of Nevada County, CORR, DVSAC, Women of Worth, Gold Country Community Services and Child Advocates. Companies, including Telestream, Tri-Continent, Miranda, General Dynamics, UPS, Applied Science and JC Penney, volunteered their time to help the community during this great day of action.
Along with the many adults who participated, high school students from Nevada Union High School, Ananda and Bitney Springs College Prep also helped make the day a success. Day of Action takes place all over the United States through the efforts of local United Ways. Nevada County's Day of Action had more than 150 volunteers come out to participate. Volunteerism is an essential ingredient to helping local communities grow.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Prepping for the Red Light Ball in Grass Valley
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Cioppino and pasta feed fundraiser coming to Nevada County Fairgrounds
- Foothills activists sought to advocate for Medicare, Social Security
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom