Transformer fire causes Grass Valley power outage
May 15, 2014
A power outage in downtown Grass Valley Wednesday afternoon was caused by a transformer fire.
Grass Valley Fire received a call for smoke coming from an underground vault, said Division Chief Jerry Funk. Crews arrived to find a PG&E underground electrical vault with smoke showing. Firefighters remained at scene until PG&E crews were able shut off the power.
The fire was contained to a transformer, Funk said. The power outage in the downtown area was expected to last several hours while PG&E replaces the damaged equipment, along with traffic restrictions on South Auburn Street.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans