TNF firefighter found dead
November 18, 2013
Tahoe firefighter found dead
The death of a Tahoe National Forest firefighter is being investigated, said supervisor Tom Quinn.
Michael Patrick Kelly II was found dead on Marysville Road in Camptonville early Saturday morning, Quinn said in a press release. His death is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol and the Yuba County Sheriff's Office. Kelly was known to have been walking home to his barracks in Camptonville, Quinn said.
Kelly, 32, served as a squad boss on the Tahoe Hotshots Crew, which is headquartered in Camptonville. He joined the Forest Service as a permanent employee in 2003 and has been a Tahoe National Forest employee since 2008.
Kelly served in many capacities during his career in the Forest Service, serving as a firefighter on fire engines, as a smoke jumper and as squad boss.
— The Union staff
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crime Roundup: Penn Valley murder; walking stick assault; ATV chase
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom