The Lover’s Ball Thursday in Nevada City
February 13, 2013
Valentine's Day is today, and The Stonehouse in Nevada City is brewing up just the right thing for a romantic evening with Synthetic Unlimited. "The Lover's Ball" is a love-themed variety show featuring poetry, seductive Shakespeare, stand-up comedy, a burlesque show and even a bit of puppetry. Music by live swing band, Cousin Cricket, will set the mood, joined by anticipated performances by local swing dancers. Doors open at 7, with music at 8 p.m.
A community hub for performers, artists and creative savants of all types, Synthetic Unlimited tends to attract a number of younger performers, which has kept the material edgy and more adult-oriented. Their production of Anthony and Cleopatra (2012) garnered lots of attention.
For this Valentine's Day production, the Synthetic Unlimited team includes Aubrey Lee Puetz of the Bowtie Beauties and Grace Fae with her burlesque debut. Local comedians and thespians conjoin to pay homage to the Bard himself, acting out romantic scenes from Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and "Much Ado About Nothing," including the classic "Romeo and Juliet" balcony scene, which will be performed by two of the crew's youngest actors, Marcus Arellanes and Rayne McNeil.
In addition, local writer Maxima Kahn will read her own brand of "erotic poetry," and the hilarious stand-up comedian, Casey Burke, will make a late-night appearance with his take on love and all things Valentine. Stonehouse chef Sean Sullivan, will offer special Valentine's treats and desserts.
Early happy hour drink specials include $2 pints and $4 margaritas, from 5 to 7 p.m. The Stonehouse is located at 107 Sacramento St., in downtown Nevada City. Tickets available at 1-800-95-SHOWS, the Nevada City Box Office and at http://www.syntheticunlimited.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Faith groups invite Nevada County residents to come together in unity
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Congressman Tom McClintock to speak to Nevada County Republican Women
- 1/2-acre vegetation fire off North Bloomfield contained
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site