Tapestry tops $20,000 in funds
October 11, 2013
The Tapestry Network of Nevada County just topped its own record of giving back to local nonprofits. The team goal was $12,000 for 2013, and this goal was determined based on doubling the 2012 amount of $6,000 raised. The year is not up, and the Christian Business Women's organization has already earned more than $14,000 this year, putting the 20-month-old organization over $20,000 awarded to a variety of local charities.
The ladies have worn Afro wigs at a Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl A Thon, purple wigs at the Relay for life, sported an umbrella dance at the Fourth of July parade and most recently donned fuzzy mustaches in hopes of raising large sums for Hospitality House.
Team BAMMER created a Miner's Village of cardboard, and the team slept in cardboard boxes to raise awareness and funds for Hospitality House. The village was a vision of Volunteer Community Outreach Coordinator Dawn Narvaéz. The team consisted of Cecilia Shampay, Terri Rutan, Beverly MacGrady, Lynn Costa and Melisa Mistler-Yates. The team walked away with first prize for "Most Creative Dwelling" and second place in giving, with $821 donated by friends, family and associates of the Tapestry members.
The organization has a strong Facebook presence and more than 100 photos were posted to Facebook during the overnight fundraiser by the six team members. The page hits were over 3,000 and all of this broadened the reach and impact of awareness and donations for Hospitality House.
For more information about upcoming events or to invite the Tapestry ladies to your event, visit the website: http://www.nevada countybamtapestry.com. The organization launched in January 2012 and has provided $21,153 to Nevada County non-profits.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- BIRTHS: JULY 21, 2017
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County