Sierra Presbyterian to host annual health fair
December 26, 2012
Sierra Presbyterian Church in Nevada City will host its sixth annual Community Health Fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today. The health fair is a joint partnership between the church, Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital, Western Sierra Medical Group and the Nevada County Department of Health and Human Services in an effort to raise the community's awareness about health and wellness resources in our area. There is something for everyone with plenty of opportunities for screenings, wellness information and nutrition. Screenings available are hearing, vision, blood pressure, body fat, O2 saturation and physical therapy evaluations. The hospital will also be offering a low-cost blood draw — $50 for a blood count, chemistry panel and coronary risk panel. A PSA test for men will be an additional $20 (note: this is a fasting blood draw). Western Sierra Medical Group, along with Nevada County Department of Health & Human Services, will be giving seasonal flu shots for $15.
More than 60 representatives from many local health organizations will be available to discuss cancer awareness, heart disease, stroke awareness, mental health, x-ray imaging, services for seniors, insurance programs, nutrition and diabetes education, healthy food and supplements, exercise programs and many other health issues. Exercise and fitness demonstrations from local health clubs will be presented every 30 minutes starting at 10 a.m. in the main building. Nevada County Environmental Services will be performing free lead testing of your small cooking and eating utensils and toys. Door prizes donated by the vendors will be announced every 15 minutes.
Event coordinator Dick Dirga said the Community Health Fair came about as an outreach effort to reach the community with health education.
"The first fair held six years ago attracted around 200 persons. Each year since then it's grown larger, and we are expecting more than 400 attendees," he said. "Obviously there is a need for an event like this in our community. The fair is free to the public and not exclusively for our church."
The health fair will be at the Sierra Presbyterian Church, located at 175 Ridge Road (corner of Gold Flat and Ridge) in Nevada City. For information, call the church at (530) 265-3291.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Memorial Day art returns to Grass Valley hillside
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public