Retired & Senior Volunteer Program honors volunteer
January 18, 2013
From left, Judith Bell (senior outreach nurse), Judi Barbour (volunteer), Sara Morrison (RSVP director) and Cynthia Schuetz (RSVP Advisory Council president).
Volunteer Judi Barbour was honored in January by RSVP (Retired & Senior Volunteer Program) and the Senior Outreach Nurses in appreciation for her 13 years of dedication as the coordinator for the Holiday Cheer Project. Since 1999, Judi has organized numerous volunteers and donors to provide holiday gift bags packed with goodies such as lap robes, socks, cookies, toiletries, handmade knit hats, and much, much more for 130 home bound seniors. For many these are their only Christmas presents and they truly enjoy them. One recipient wrote, "A heartfelt 'thank you!' to all! What a lovely surprise it was to receive a big bag of lovely things- both edible and very useful and fun! This old woman does not receive many such lovely surprises and I am everlastingly grateful!"
Next year, a new coordinator for the project is needed. This activity would be perfect for a civic or social club, or church group to take on as an annual project. As of now, there is no one to continue this wonderful tradition that is so meaningful for so many. Please contact RSVP at (530) 271-0255 if you or your group would like to learn more about how to get involved.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death