Retired & Senior Volunteer Program honors volunteer
January 18, 2013
From left, Judith Bell (senior outreach nurse), Judi Barbour (volunteer), Sara Morrison (RSVP director) and Cynthia Schuetz (RSVP Advisory Council president).
Volunteer Judi Barbour was honored in January by RSVP (Retired & Senior Volunteer Program) and the Senior Outreach Nurses in appreciation for her 13 years of dedication as the coordinator for the Holiday Cheer Project. Since 1999, Judi has organized numerous volunteers and donors to provide holiday gift bags packed with goodies such as lap robes, socks, cookies, toiletries, handmade knit hats, and much, much more for 130 home bound seniors. For many these are their only Christmas presents and they truly enjoy them. One recipient wrote, "A heartfelt 'thank you!' to all! What a lovely surprise it was to receive a big bag of lovely things- both edible and very useful and fun! This old woman does not receive many such lovely surprises and I am everlastingly grateful!"
Next year, a new coordinator for the project is needed. This activity would be perfect for a civic or social club, or church group to take on as an annual project. As of now, there is no one to continue this wonderful tradition that is so meaningful for so many. Please contact RSVP at (530) 271-0255 if you or your group would like to learn more about how to get involved.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum