Pleasant Ridge District parents’ club sponsors free Christmas shopping event
December 26, 2012
Annual Holiday Free Shop to take place Dec. 8 at Cottage Hill School. The Pleasant Ridge District Parents Club is giving back to the Grass Valley area with its sixth annual Spirit of Giving Holiday Free Shop, an event where community members in need can shop among hundreds of donated new and used items for family and loved ones on their Christmas lists.
The Free Shop takes place from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Cottage Hill School, 22600 Kingston Lane in Grass Valley. This event was conceptualized by Sue Botsford, a former Parents Club president who found an unused electronic keyboard in her closet.
"I was thinking how sad it was that it just sat in a closet, when it could bring so much joy to someone else," said Botsford.
The Spirit of Giving Holiday Free Shop is open to everyone. Shoppers are invited to come prepared with a list of whom they are shopping for and may select up to two items for each person on their list. Included in the shopping experience is complimentary gift wrapping.
"The Spirit of Giving Free Shop has been a heartwarming event for donors and volunteers at a time when the economy is still in flux," said Jill Daley, current Parents Club president and coordinator of the event. "Families of the Pleasant Ridge School District have a chance to help members of the community by simply cleaning out their own closets."
Items donated in the past include new or gently used treasures, such as children's toys, children's clothing, adult clothing, electronic items, books, games, holiday clothing and household items, including complete sets of dishes, cookware, holiday decorations, sporting goods, a brand new London Fog coat and even a Sony PlayStation. Any cash donations made by shoppers who choose to "pay" for their items will be directed to KARE Crisis Nursery of Nevada County, a nonprofit that provides safe and nurturing care to young children of families in stressful circumstances. KARE Crisis Nursery is located at 15649 Ridge Estates Road, Nevada City, CA 95959, and can be reached at (530) 265-6520.
Recommended Stories For You
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Raising Deer Creek awareness — open studio artist partners with Sierra Streams Institute
- GOP to host gun rights lobbyist in Grass Valley
- Avanguardia Wines opens new tasting room with Jim Bair Photography
- Grocery Outlet raises the bar in helping the hungry in Nevada County
- “Nevada County Reads & Writes” selects book for 2018
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit
- Eye on the Economy: Nevada County’s commerce lags behind in economic recovery (VIDEO)
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man returns home to find burners on, house ransacked, mysterious pants
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash