New Grass Valley visitors center grand opening
July 19, 2013
Several months of floor space planning and interior alterations have finally paid off with the completion of the new Visitor Information Center at 128 E. Main St. in Grass Valley.
The center is across from City Hall and operated by the Greater Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce.
To celebrate the center's recent completion, the chamber is inviting the public to a grand opening, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 24. Refreshments will be available for during those hours.
"There's nothing else like it in Northern California," said Robin Galvan-Davies, co-CEO of the chamber and executive director of the visitors center. "It showcases the community's history, its present and its future, and it's something all chamber members and other local partners and stakeholders can be proud of."
Visitors to the day-long grand opening can meet members of the chamber staff and board of directors, as well as several city and county officials who are likely to drop by for a look.
Galvan-Davies said she expects the center to be very busy this summer, and all is set and her staff is ready. She noted, however, that additional volunteers and docents are always welcome.
"If a person has basic knowledge of the area's history or can provide assistance and directions to people unfamiliar with Grass Valley and western Nevada County, then we have the perfect place for them to volunteer their time," Galvan-Davies said.
The 2,200-square-foot center, which also houses the chamber's administrative staff, represents a cooperative effort between the city, chamber and private sector.
The city of Grass Valley will provide some financial help, and the building's owner, Keoni Allen, offered a favorable rent and build-out assistance to help the project become a reality.
"Turning this storefront space into a modern visitor information center and chamber of commerce office has been a challenge, but oh, so fun," Galvan-Davies said. "When people drop by at the opening, they will know why we worked so hard these past several months."
For information about the center or the grand opening, or if you want to volunteer, call Robin Galvan-Davies at 530-273-4667 or email rdavies@ grassvalleychamber.com.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Prepping for the Red Light Ball in Grass Valley
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Cioppino and pasta feed fundraiser coming to Nevada County Fairgrounds
- Foothills activists sought to advocate for Medicare, Social Security
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week