Nevada County fire district considers housing allocation for interim chief
April 30, 2013
At tonight's meeting of the Nevada County Consolidated Fire District Board of Directors, elected officials will vote on a resolution to appoint Jerald Johnson as interim fire chief and allocate funds for his temporary housing.
Johnson, a retired assistant fire chief from West Covina, would be paid $550 for each day of service for a period of no less than 60 days, according to the resolution the directors will consider tonight.
That interim period is subject to 30-day extensions by a board vote.
The resolution also proposes providing Johnson temporary housing or a $90 per day for housing.
With no word yet on whether the district paid for Johnson's travel expenses for a April 24 meeting with district officials, a tabulation of the proposed figures indicates that the district is considering paying nearly $40,000 for an interim fire chief at the same time that it pays consultant Ron Coleman $28,000 to search for a more permanent chief to lead the district.
In March, Nevada County Consolidated Fire District's put forth a special election to implement a fire tax that amounted to $52 for most property owners. Eight months after the approval of its special tax, the fire district's board restored salary step increases and other benefits to its firefighters, drawing criticism from the public and one of its board members.
Amid that time frame, former Chief Tim Fike was officially ousted from the position he held for about 15 years in late June 2012 when the Consolidated board of directors voted 6-1 to award Fike a $75,000 severance package following a physical altercation in March with a fire mechanic.
Division Chief David Ray is scheduled to retire officially Tuesday.
Tonight's meeting begins at 7 p.m. at Station 84, located at 10135 Coyote St. Check back with TheUnion.com for coverage of the that meeting and how the board votes.
To contact Staff Writer Christopher Rosacker, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4236.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- BIRTHS: JULY 21, 2017
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws