Nevada City resident promoted to lieutenant
May 21, 2013
Nevada City resident Alex Merkle was commissioned as a First Lieutenant into the U.S. Army Reserve on Monday. The oath of office was administered by Dr. Jon Bowersox, US Air Force Reserve (retired) at Enloe Medical Center, where they both serve on the trauma surgery service.
Merkle is also an active member of the Nevada County community, volunteering with the Sheriff's Search and Rescue team and serving as a board member for the Mendocino-Tahoe Conservancy.
Previously, Alex served as a boatswains mate in the Coast Guard Reserve, where he commanded and operated rescue boats off the waters of Northern California.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Memorial Day art returns to Grass Valley hillside
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed