Nevada City resident promoted to lieutenant
May 21, 2013
Nevada City resident Alex Merkle was commissioned as a First Lieutenant into the U.S. Army Reserve on Monday. The oath of office was administered by Dr. Jon Bowersox, US Air Force Reserve (retired) at Enloe Medical Center, where they both serve on the trauma surgery service.
Merkle is also an active member of the Nevada County community, volunteering with the Sheriff's Search and Rescue team and serving as a board member for the Mendocino-Tahoe Conservancy.
Previously, Alex served as a boatswains mate in the Coast Guard Reserve, where he commanded and operated rescue boats off the waters of Northern California.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (VIDEO)