Nevada City resident promoted to lieutenant
May 21, 2013
Nevada City resident Alex Merkle was commissioned as a First Lieutenant into the U.S. Army Reserve on Monday. The oath of office was administered by Dr. Jon Bowersox, US Air Force Reserve (retired) at Enloe Medical Center, where they both serve on the trauma surgery service.
Merkle is also an active member of the Nevada County community, volunteering with the Sheriff's Search and Rescue team and serving as a board member for the Mendocino-Tahoe Conservancy.
Previously, Alex served as a boatswains mate in the Coast Guard Reserve, where he commanded and operated rescue boats off the waters of Northern California.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley murder suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Suspect arrested in two Grass Valley spot fires
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans