Native American genealogy expert to speak
June 27, 2013
Ken Harris, a local family history researcher experienced in Native American genealogy and history, will speak at the meeting of the Nevada County Genealogy Society. Open to the public, the meeting will be at 6:30 p.m., July 9, in the Community Room of the Madelyn Helling Library in Nevada City.
Harris' parents worked with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and from his earliest memories to his graduation from high school, he was exposed to a wide range of Native American education and health issues. His mother was a registered Lakota and his father a registered Hupa. He is registered on the Cheyenne River Reservation in Ziebach County, South Dakota.
After serving in the Navy, Ken attended the University of California, Riverside and the University of California, Los Angeles, earning a bachelor's degree in philosophy. He eventually became a teacher, finishing out his career teaching history and language arts at Grizzly Hill School on the San Juan Ridge.
When he became interested in genealogy and family stories, Ken was naturally drawn to Native American genealogy. He has had good luck and will offer suggestions to others interested in this area of research.
The Nevada County Genealogy Society meets on the second Tuesday of every month.
For more information, call Helen Martini at 530-273-0855 or visit http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cancgs.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Prepping for the Red Light Ball in Grass Valley
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Cioppino and pasta feed fundraiser coming to Nevada County Fairgrounds
- Foothills activists sought to advocate for Medicare, Social Security
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom